Assessee who are required to file income tax return online must e-file their return. Otherwise it is your choice to file income tax return online or offline. In previous article we have given detail guidelines about how to file income tax return online, offline or TRP schemes. You can file income tax return online for A.Y.2019-20 by following only 13 steps and without any professional help.
Table of contents
Must Read: e-Payment of Income Tax
Modes of Filing Income Tax Return for A.Y. 2019-20
The income tax return may be furnished-
- in paper form (alongwith acknowledgment slip)
- electronically under digital signature,
- electronically in the return under electronic verification code, Check here for more detail
- transmitting the data in return electronically followed by a verification of the return in Form ITR-V (in paper form, in duplicate signed manually) Check here for more detail
Mode of Filing Return by Different Assessees
(1) Individuals or HUFs required to gets their accounts audited u/s 44AB are mandatorily required to furnish the return electronically under digital signature only.
(2) An individual or HUF (not required to get his/its accounts audited u/s 44AB),—
- who is an individual of the age of 80 years or more at any time during the previous year, or
- whose income does not exceed Rs. 5 lakhs and no refund is claimed in the return, and who furnishes his return in Form No. ITR-1 (SAHAJ) or No. ITR-4 (SUGAM), may furnish the return in any of the modes specified above.
(3) An individual or HUF not covered in (1) or (2) above may file his/ its return electronically in any of the modes specified in (ii), (iii) or (iv) above.
(4) Firms furnishing their return in Form ITR-5 and required to get their accounts audited u/s 44AB are mandatorily required to furnish the return electronically under digital signature only.
(5) Firms and other persons (not covered above) furnishing their return in Form ITR-5 shall be required to furnish their return electroni-cally in any of the modes specified in (ii), (iii) and (iv) above.
(6) Companies furnishing their return in Form ITR-6 and Political ‘Parties furnishing their return in Form ITR-7, are mandatorily required to furnish the return electronically under digital signature only.
(7) Trusts, etc. [except political parties] required to furnish their return in Form ITR-7 may furnish their return electronically in any of the mocls specified in (ii), (iii) and (iv) above. Trusts required to give a notice of accumulation of income u/s 11(2)(a) shall furnish the same electronically.
(8) An assessee required to furnish an audit report u/s 10(23C)(iv), v), (vi) or (via), 10A, 10AA, 12A(1)(b), 4,4AB, 44DA, 50B, 80-,80-IC 80-ID 80B 80-LA 92E 115JB 115JC or 115VW 80 or to give a notice u/s 11(2)(a), shall furnish the return electronically.
Procedure to File Income Tax Return Online 2019-20
Step 1: Log on to www.incometaxindia.gov.in and click on icon to e-file Income Tax Return or to http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
Step 2: Select applicable form for your income.
Step 3: Download e-filing utility from the official website of Income Tax Department. We will cover all detail how to use income tax department’s utility to file return later.
Step 4: Enter all the detail information in given form. It must be validated after putting required information. It will generate XML file which you have to save in your computer for upload. Keep all supporting/related document with you while filling the ITR form.
Step 5: Create your account with user ID and password on the website http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/. It is require to upload your income tax return.
Step 6: Now login with your user ID and password
Step 7: Select Assessment year for which year you want to file the return. After selected it will show your PAN and assessment year selected bu you.
Step 8: You must verify your PAN and assessment year to avoid late refund or other issues.
Step 9: Now select your ITR form no. i.e. ITR-1/ITR-2/ITR-3/ITR-4. See: Which income tax return form to file?
Step 10: Select yes if you have digital signature or no if you have not. (Digital Signature is mandatory for all audit cases and companies).
Step 11: Now click on Browse to select XML file which you have saved in your computer. Now, click to “Upload” button.
Step 12: After completing upload process the pop will be shown to download your acknowledgment receipt in PDF format. The PDF file will be password protected. The password will be your PAN followed by the date of birth in small letters.
Step 13: In case of return is digital signed, on generation of Acknowledgement, the return filing process gets completed. See more about digitally signed income tax return.
Step 14: In case the return is not digitally signed, on successful uploading of e-Return, Form ITR-V would be generated which needs to be printed. This is an acknowledgement cum verification form. You need to sign this form.
It should be mailed to “Income Tax Department – CPC, Post Bag No.1, Electronic City Post Office, Banglore-560100, Karnataka, “BY ORDINARY POST ONLY with in
120 days 30 days after the date of filing income tax return online.
If you miss the
120 days 30 days period then It is deemed by the department that you have not filed your income tax return. So you shall be required to re-submit the income tax return followed by submitting new form ITR-V within 120 days 30 days. It will complete the return filing process.
You can also use the following methods to e-verify income tax return, if you don’t want to send ITR-V.
- e-Verification using e-Filing OTP
- e-Verification using NetBanking login
- e-Verification using Aadhaar OTP validation
If you choose any one from above you are not required to do any further action. You efiling of income tax return process ends here.
Must Read: How to view or download 26AS form