ITR-1 (Sahaj) AY 2022-23: ITR-1 is a simple tax return form. People with incomes less than Rs.50 lakhs can use ITR-1. This income should be from salary, income from other sources (Interest etc.) and only one house property. In this article, we will discuss the detail about ITR-1 like how to fill ITR-1, excel utility, instructions, PDF format, amendments, FAQ and more.
Table of contents
- Who can use ITR-1?
- Who Can Not Use ITR-1 for A.Y. 2022-23
- Changes in ITR 1 for 2022-23
- What is ITR-1
- Which Incomes includes in ITR-1 Form (Sahaj Form)?
- Download ITR-1 Form ay 2022-23Utility?
- Can I File ITR-1 Offline AY 2022-23?
- How to file the ITR-1 Form?
- How to e-file ITR-1 A.Y. 2022-23 Form?
- FAQ on ITR 1 A.Y. 2022-23
Download ITR 1 Form (A.Y. 2022-23)
How to download ITR-1 in different formats: As you all know the income tax department provides excel utility to fill ITR-1 easily and without any errors. We will provide you the links here to download ITR-1 in PDF, excel utility and instructions. Please refer to the following table to download ITR 1 (Sahaj) form.
Table for Download ITR 1 form for A.Y. 2022-23
|Java or Excel Utility (Fill the form offline, save the generated XML file and then upload it)||Visit Here|
|e-File ITR-1||e-file here|
|Instructions for ITR-1||Visit Here|
Who can use ITR-1?
ITR-1 (Sahaj) is a form to file income tax returns who have the following income up to Rs. 50 Lakhs. ITR 1 form is also known as Sahaj Form. The return is applicable for a Resident Individual having total income from any of the following sources up to Rs. 50 Lakh.
- Income From Salary/Pension
- Income from one-house property
- Income from other sources (Interest, Family Pension, Dividend etc.)
- Agricultural Income up to Rs. 5,000
The last date to file a salary income tax return for A.Y. 2022-23 is 31st July 2012.
The link to download ITR 1 for A.Y. 2019-20 is given below.
Keep in Mind: The rules of penal interest and penalty of late filing of income tax returns have changed w.e.f.01-04-2018 – Check Here
So don’t do any unnecessary delay to file ITR-1 even you can file today as the Income Tax department has released the utility for excel and java.
Who Can Not Use ITR-1 for A.Y. 2022-23
Persons who can not use ITR-1 for A.Y. 2022-23: The following persons can not use ITR-1 for A.Y. 2023-23.
Changes in ITR 1 for 2022-23
Here are the following changes apply to ITR-1 (A.Y. 2022-23)
- W.e.f. A.Y.2019-20 Individual who is either director in a company or has invested in unlisted equity shares can not file ITR-1.
- Now w.e.f A.Y. 2018-19 ITR 1 is only available for Resident Individuals not for Residents Not Ordinarily Residents.
- You can not file ITR 1 if you have income above Rs.50 lakh from salaries, house property or any other source of income.
- New columns under head salaries
- New columns under head house property
- New column for TDS made on rent.
- Now Aadhar Number is mandatory to enter in ITR-1 while filing an income tax return. If you have not applied for an Aadhar card yet then apply it and enter your enrolment number. w.e.f 1-7-2017
- If you deposited Rs 2 lakh or more from 9th November 2016 to 30th December 2016 then you must fill the column of cash deposited during the demonetization period.
- Now, you should fill all your savings and current bank account detail in ITR-1 operated during the previous year.
What is ITR-1
- The form is also known as Sahaj Form. So you don’t need to confuse over it. The form is for the assesee who have salary income during the Financial year 2017-18. There are other ITR forms like ITR-2, 3,4,5,6,7. But these forms are used for other incomes.
- So you have to ready your documents to file your Salary Income Tax return as per the instructions given in Form ITR-1. Income Tax Department has issued a new form to file income tax returns for A.Y. 2018-19 including ITR-1 along with excel utility software to create XML format.
- The XML format is the only format which can be uploaded to the server of the income tax department. No other means or way to upload or file an income tax return.
- So you can download the excel utility software to file ITR-1 online or PDF, Excel format to file offline income tax returns.
- We have also given the important information to the assessee to help them to file ITR-1 easily.
Which Incomes includes in ITR-1 Form (Sahaj Form)?
The persons who have the following income or receipts should use the ITR-1 form for A.Y. 2022-23.
- Salary/Pension or
- 1 house property income
- Other Sources Income
- Clubbing of Income from above heads
- Agriculture income up to Rs.5000
Download ITR-1 Form ay 2022-23Utility?
The assessee should download the ITR-1 form to file an income tax return online or offline. We will talk only about the filing of the ITR-1 Form. There are two ways to file the ITR-1 Form.
1) Prepare Return Offline: Download ITR-1 and fill in all the complete detail then click on to prepare XML. It will make your file in XML format which should need to be uploaded to the server of the income tax department.
2) Prepare the ITR-1 XML file through any software.
You can download the ITR-1 form from the links given below.
Can I File ITR-1 Offline AY 2022-23?
The following persons have the option to file ITR-1 offline for a.y. 2022-23. If you are not in the following persons then you must file your Income Tax Return in ITR-1 online.
- Individuals whose age is 80 years or more.
- Individuals and HUF whose income does not exceed 5 lakhs are not going to claim any income tax refund.
For more information visit: Which Way I should File Income Tax Return? Online, Offline or by TRP?
How to file the ITR-1 Form?
Here is the step-by-step procedure to file the ITR-1 form for a.y. 2022-23 through offline utility.
|Step 1||Download ITR-1 Excel Utility|
|Step 2||Fill Income detail worksheet|
|Step 3||Fill TDS detail worksheet|
|Step 4||Fill all TCS detail worksheets|
|Step 5||Fill taxes paid and a verification worksheet|
|Step 6||Fill 80G donation detail worksheet|
|Step 7||After filling in all the detail click on validate|
|Step 8||After validation click on Generate XML|
|Step 9||After XML generation, you are ready to file ITR-1|
How to e-file ITR-1 A.Y. 2022-23 Form?
|Step 1||Visit here -> https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal|
|Step 2||If you already registered then login|
|Step 3||If you are not registered then click on register yourself|
|Step 4||After login click on e-file|
|Step 5||Then select assessment year and select ITR-1 here|
|Step 6||Browse your XML file as generated above|
|Step 7||Select digitally sign as Yes (if you have a digital signature), if Not then select No|
|Step 8||Click on Submit button|
|Step 9||System will generate ITR-V, Print it|
|Step 10||Send ITR-V to the address given in ITR-V|
|Step 11||E-verify your return – Check here how to e-verify Income Tax Return|
FAQ on ITR 1 A.Y. 2022-23
Q. I have some unexplained income. Whether I can choose ITR-1 to file my income tax return?
Taxpayers having unexplained income cannot opt for ITR-1 Sahaj. You will have to file ITR-2 or ITR-3 or ITR-4 on basis of criteria given in FAQ No. 1.
Q. I have received a dividend income of Rs. 15 lakhs from an Indian Company. Whether I can choose ITR-1 (A.Y. 2022-23) to file my income tax return?
Taxpayers who have received dividend income above Rs. 10 lakhs during the relevant previous year cannot opt for ITR-1 Sahaj. You will have to file ITR-2 or ITR-3 or ITR-4 on basis of the criteria given in FAQ No. 1.
Q. Whether all taxpayers who are earning income only from salary can choose ITR-1 for filing income-tax returns?
Yes, all taxpayers who are earning income only from salary can choose ITR-1 for A.y. 2022-23 for filing tax returns. However, salaried taxpayers cannot choose ITR-1 in the following cases:
- His salary income exceeds Rs. 50 lakhs
- His salary income is earned from outside India
- He is a Non-resident or Not-Ordinarily Resident in India
- He has any assets located outside India
He has signing authority in any account located outside India.
Q. Whether individuals are required to mention details of assets and liabilities in ITR 1 Sahaj (a.y. 2022-23)?
Individuals/HUFs are required to furnish details of assets and liabilities only when their income exceeds Rs. 50 lakhs. The Schedule AL wherein the details of assets and liabilities are to be furnished is available only in ITR-2, ITR-3 and ITR-4. Thus, the individual or HUF who has to report the details of assets and liabilities has to opt for filing of return in ITR 2, ITR 3 or ITR 4 on basis of criteria given in FAQ No. 1.
Q. My income is Rs 60 lakhs. What type of details of assets and liabilities do I need to mention in the income-tax return?
In 2016, the Govt. had introduced a new Schedule AL in income-tax returns requiring individuals/HUFs to declare the value of assets and liabilities if their total income exceeds Rs. 50 lakhs. If the taxpayer is required to provide information in this Schedule, he shall provide the details of the cost of immovable property, jewellery, vehicles, shares, bank and cash balance, etc. Further, the taxpayer is also required to disclose the address of the immovable property and the description of movable assets.