The deadline for filing an income tax return for the year 2022-23 was 31st July 2022. Hopefully, you have filed your income tax return on time. You can still file your income tax return up to 31st December 2022, but you will have to pay a late fee penalty as per section 234F of the income tax act. In this article, we discuss the penalty for late filing of income tax returns for the tax year 2022-23.
Updates: Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has reduced the time limit for confirming income tax returns (ITRs) from 120 days to 30 days after electronically transmitting the data. Here is the notification w.e.f. 1st August 2022 – Visit Here
Penalty for Late Filing of Income Tax Return A.Y.2022-23
Individuals Resident (Non-Audit Cases)
|Total Income||Fee (Penalty)|
|Income Below Exemption Limit||No Late Fee|
|Up to Rs.5 Lakh||Rs.1000/-|
|More than Rs. 5 Lakh||Rs.5000/-
Basic Exemption Limit
|Age Below 60 Years||2,50,000/-|
|Age 60 to Below 80||3,00,000/-|
|Age 80 Above||5,00,000/-|
Penal Interest for Late Filing Income Tax Return A.Y. 2022-23
Penal Interest: The penal interest will also apply if you file your income tax return late along with the penalty mentioned above.
- In case a return is not filed within the due date or is not filed at all, simple interest is payable @1% for every month or part of the month of delay.
- To calculate the interest you have to reduce the tax by the amount of advance tax paid, TDS and TCS if any.
- No interest can be levied for late filing of income tax return, if the tax payable on total assessed income has been paid in full or in excess by way of advance tax or as TDS/TCS, except self-assessment tax u/s 140A.
Due Dates to File Income Tax Return
|All Other Assessees (Salaried and others)||31st July|
- Where the last date for filing an income tax return is a day on which the office is closed, the assessee can file the income tax return on the next day on which the office is opened and in such cases, the return will be considered to have been filed within the specified time limit.
- No extension of time for filing income tax returns is available. However a return may be filed late with penal interest and penalty up to 31st March. It is called a belated return.
As you know the consequences for not filing or late filing of the income tax returns are very bad. You must file your income tax return on time. We will assist you if you need our help to file income tax return. But you should file income tax return on time as law is going to strict every day.