The last date to file income tax return every year is 31st July. You must file your income tax return within due date. Now the questions is if you are not filing your income tax return within due date how much penalty or interest you have to pay. Here we will discuss about the penalty for late filing or non filing of income tax return. We will also update with latest amendments in budget.
Penalty for Late Filing of Income Tax Return A.Y.2019-20
Individuals Resident (Non- Audit Cases)
|Total Income||Fee (Penalty)|
|Upto Rs.5 Lakh||Rs.1000/– (Income Tax Return Filed from 1st August 2019 to 31st March 2020 of Assessment year)|
|More than Rs. 5 Lakh||Rs.5000/- (Income Tax Return Filed from 1st August 2019 to 31st December 2019 of the Assessment Year)
Rs.10,000/- (Income Tax Return Filed from 1st January 2019 to 31st March 2020 of the Assessment Year)
- In case a return is not filed within due date or is not filed at all, simple interest is payable @1% for every month or part of the month of delay.
- To calculate interest you have to reduced the tax by the amount of advance tax paid, TDS and TCS if any.
- No interest can be levied for late filing of income tax return, if the tax payable on total assessed income has bee paid in full or in excess by way of advance tax or as TDS/TCS, except self assessment tax u/s 140A.
Due Dates to File Income Tax Return
|All Other Assessees (Salaried and others)||31st July|
- Where the last date for filing income tax return is a day on which the office is closed, the assessee can file the income tax return on the next day on which the office is opened and in such cases the return will be considered to have been filed within the specified time limit.
- No extension of time for filing income tax return is available. However a return may be filed late with penal interest and penalty up to 31st March. It is called belated return.
Belated Return With Example
W.e.f A.Y. 2017-18 a belated return may be filed up to the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of assessment, whichever is earlier. Thus, return for A.Y. 2017-18, if not filed by the due date may be filed up to 31-03-2018.
A late return attracts interest and late fee.
Mr A could not file his income tax return for A.Y. 2017-18 by the due date i.e 31-07-2017. Now he can file his income tax return up to the end of the assessment year i.e upto 31-03-2018.
Mr A will now pay penal interest on tax if any due @ 1% of every month.
But Mr A will not pay any penalty fee as income tax return is for A.Y. 2017-18.
But if Mr A will file income tax return for A.Y. 2018-19 after due date then he will pay penalty as follows:
- Rs. 5000 (if filed before 31st Dec 2018)
- Rs.10000 (if filed before 31st March 2019 but after 31st December 2018
- Rs.1000 (if Mr A has income is up to Rs.5 Lakh)
As you know the consequences for not filing or late filing of income tax return are very bad. You must file your income tax return on time. We will assist you if you need our help to file income tax return. But you should file income tax return on time as law is going to strict every day.